Adoremus, Society for the Renewal of the Sacred Liturgy
Online Edition - December 2006 - January 2007
Vol. XII, No. 9
BCL to be Renamed in USCCB Reorganization Plan
Among the actions of the bishops at their November meeting in Baltimore was approval of a Strategic Plan for the reorganization of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB). In process for several years, the proposal would combine, consolidate or eliminate some committees.
Under this plan, the Bishops’ Committee on the Liturgy (BCL) would be renamed the Committee on Divine Worship (BCDW). The committee’s new mandate is “to assist the bishops, both collectively and individually, in fulfilling their roles as priests and leaders of the worshipping community, especially with the translation of liturgical texts and the development of guidelines for the celebration of the Mass and the sacraments. The committee addresses in a particular way prayer and worship within culturally diverse communities”.
According to the report in the BCL’s November NewsLetter, the committee’s expanded mandate includes the following areas of responsibility: Liturgical practice within the United States, translation and adaptation of liturgical texts, sacred music, charismatic renewal, and national shrines.
The NewsLetter also listed the committee’s key mission responsibilities:
• Translating, adapting, reviewing, and promoting liturgical texts;
• Developing pastoral practices and guidelines for various liturgical questions;
• Reviewing liturgical participation aids and musical settings;
• Responding to specific questions from bishops and diocesan offices;
• Collaborating in the publication of liturgical texts and rituals;
• Fostering the leadership of the Catholic Charismatic Community.
The reorganized BCDW would maintain relationships with related USCCB Committees, diocesan and national liturgical groups, the Holy See, and the International Commission on English in the Liturgy (ICEL).
Credit Card Donations
To donate by credit card:
1. Call our office to donate directly: (314) 863-8385, have your name, address and credit card number ready. If you would like automatic donations to Adoremus let us know what date(s) you would like to be billed on.
2. You may also donate by using Network for Good: http://www.networkforgood.org (follow instructions on site)
3. You may donate using PayPal below
US Membership Donation
Foreign Membership Donation
**Adoremus operates solely on your generous donations.**
Adoremus is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Donations are tax deductible.
Site Copyright © 1999 - Present by Adoremus
All rights reserved.
All material on this web site is copyrighted and may not be copied or reproduced without prior written permission from Adoremus, except as specified below:
Permission is granted to download and/or print out articles for personal use only.
Brief quotations (ca 500 words) may be made from the material on this site, in accordance with the “fair use” provisions of copyright law without prior permission. For these quotations proper attribution must be made of author and Adoremus + URL (i.e., Adoremus or Adoremus Bulletin www.adoremus.org.)
Generally, all signed articles or graphics must also have the permission of the author. If a text does not have an author byline, Adoremus should be listed as the author. For example: Adoremus (St Louis: Adoremus, 2005 + URL)
Link to Adoremus web site.
Other web sites are welcome to establish links to www.adoremus.org or to individual pages within our site.
Home | Join/Donate | Adoremus Bulletin | Archive | Index | Church Documents | Architecture | Posture | Music | Translation | What's NEW? | FAQ | Search Site | Site Map